Tuesday 15 November 2011

Photography

Before I made a movie I was into Photography. I used to be a freelance photographer and take pictures of bands in low light pushing film to 1600 ASA. Bill one of the characters in Pub Crawl is a war photographer. I buy too much gear and with photo gear now it seems to be obsolete before you get to use it.

I still have Nikon F3 and a Nikon F4 stills cameras and 24mm, 35mm, 85mm and a 180mm. All prime Niikkor lenses. The still work on Nikon digital SLR’s with a 1.6 times magnify effect. They even work on Canon DSLR’s with an adaptor.

Before the Nikons I had Olympus OM-1 and OM-2 camera’s I mainly shot in Black and White and had an enlarger and developed my own films and prints up to A3 size. I still have some of the negatives, but no longer have an enlarger. The fact is with computers you don’t need one. I keep meaning to get a film scanner.

I now have a Nikon D80 which I can use with my old Nikkor lenses. I did think about upgrading it to a Nikon D7000, but it was too expensive so I settled on a Canon 550D.

I used to go out and take pictures on film. Now I can take digital pictures and upload them to my iMac computer, but I don’t get out that much. So even though the pictures are free to take. I take less pictures than I used too when I had to pay for film and development.

Strange really. The new Nikon interchangeable system cameras V1 and J1 with Nikon 1 lenses., look good. I would want to try one out before I buy one and as usual right at this moment, I don’t need them. I’ve hardly used the Canon.

Focusing on camera equipment rather than taking pictures  is the wrong thing to do. Nikon got flamed for suggesting that a better camera and lens takes better pictures.

Some Smartphones can shoot 1080p video and even edit it on the phone.The sound may bot be very good. Like I said I really should go out more and shoot some pictures.

If I am out I usually have an iPhone, but not a camera. I even forget to take my little Canon IXUS 120 compact.

The thing is I have a blind spot I very rarely remember that my mobile phone can take pictures. Seems silly really I just don’t see a phone as a camera, even though I am more than happy to see it as a music system for playing MP3’s, that I use it for all the time.

Not that I have much space to use for photo’s on my phone as it’s full of music. I will try and remember that my iPhone is a camera and a video camera even. 

Unless I go out with the mindset to take pictures the phone stays in my pocket playing music into the tiny earphones.

No comments:

Post a Comment