Tuesday 15 November 2011

The Shot


Jessops, the UK’s premier photographic retailer, has teamed up with The Mob Film Company to launch a short film competition. Budding filmmakers up and down the country are being urged to put their work in the spotlight.

Using a Digital Camera or DSLR camera’s movie function, participants must produce a short film of up to 10 minutes called “The Shot”. I’m not sure from the rules wether this means you need to use the microphone on the camera for sound.

I’m not sure how the judges will be able to judge what the film was camera the film was shot on, but that’s the rules.

The competition will be judged by a panel of film and television directors, headed by Paul WS Anderson, Director of the Resident Evil series.

The competition, which runs until early next year, is open to everyone in the UK and offers one lucky winner a very special prize: an all-expenses paid trip to spend the day with Paul WS Anderson on the set of his latest movie. In addition, the winner will also receive a £5000 camera package, courtesy of Nikon.

Full competition rules and submission instructions can be found at www.facebook.com/jessops. Visit www.mobfilm.com for further information and biographies of the judging panel.

I’ve written a short script of about 3 minutes, I will have to find out if that’s long enough. I tried to go for something that should be cheap to shoot, but will need a gun and knife props and a stunt co-ordinator... I’ve copied it below the formatting sort of got lost somewhere. If I do get around to shooting it before the deadline for the competition, it might change a bit but you can get the idea from this script.

The Shot
Written by Harry McGeough

                                                                                                                                FADE IN.
EXT. STREET - NIGHT
It's an empty street lit by street lights.
A VICTIM, wearing black and sunglasses, is walking down the street.
A MUGGER, wearing a hoody and scarf over his mouth, jumps out and threatens the victim with a knife.
                                MUGGER
            Hand over your wallet And give me your mobile.
                                VICTIM
            No.
The mugger looks puzzled and brandishes the knife in front of the victims face.
                                MUGGER
            I'll cut ya.
                                VICTIM
             I need the mobile for my job and I'm not giving you my wallet.
                                MUGGER
            Give me your phone or I'll stab you.
The mugger jabs the knife at the victim.
                                VICTIM
            I told you. I need it for job, see.
The victim holds up his gloved hands.
                                MUGGE
            So your wearing gloves, you can get another phone. Give it to me!
                                VICTIM
            It’s dark. I'm wearing shades and gloves, because I have a scary job.
                                MUGGER
            It's not worth dying for, you can get another phone.
The victim puts his hand inside his jacket.
                                VICTIM
            OK you want my phone? Take it then.
The victim pulls out a gun with a silencer and points it at the muggers head.
                                MUGGER
            Shit! Forget it mate.
                                VICTIM
            You have to ask yourself did he fire 5 shots or 6?
                                MUGGER
            You didn't fire any shots.
                                VICTIM
            So I have a full clip, drop the knife.
The mugger drops the knife and starts backing away.
                                MUGGER
            It's not worth me dying over a mobile phone. Forget about it, mate.
                                VICTIM
            If you run really fast maybe you can outrun my bullet. I'm going to count to 5, then take the shot.
                                MUGGER
            Don't kill me man.
                                VICTIM
            1.
The mugger turns and runs up the road.
                                VICTIM (CONT’D)
            2,3,4,5
The victim fires the gun and hits the mugger in the back.
The muggers falls over face forward. He starts crawling up the road, leaving a trail of blood.
The victim walks up to within a few feet of the mugger.
                                VICTIM (CONT’D)
            Did you guess my job yet?
The Hitman aims the gun at the muggers head.
                                MUGGER
           No! I don't want to die bro.
                                VICTIM
            You're in the wrong place, at the wrong time. I'm on a job and I can't have a witness.
The Hitman fires at point blank range into the muggers head.
                                                                                                                                FADE OUT.
                                    The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment